Memories and Inspiration: It was summer vacation, exploring America! Eric and I brought Bella Sophia to our neighborhood beach and we all dipped our toes into the Pacific Coast waves. We explained that we would make our way through the South of the U.S.A. and visit Disney World in Florida..then drive to the Florida coast and dip our toes into the waves of the Atlantic Ocean. ‘Coast to coast.’
Two months of exploring America…it was a terrific road trip! One of my favorite memories, is a roadside stop in Louisiana. The best lunch ever! What was it? Cranberry bread with turkey salad. Loved it!
I make a version of this for my family at home now, and imagine our next road trip. (The Cranberry bread stores well in the freezer and Bella Sophia likes to add it to her lunch box or have some for breakfast. I recommend baking a double recipe).
Hold some Thanksgiving turkey aside and make a super simple turkey salad. Cranberry bread and turkey salad sandwiches, the VERY BEST autumn treat inspired by a fabulous summer road trip. It has become a Huckleberry Hill fall tradition.
What is your ‘go to’ favorite sandwich combo? A huckleberry hill reader LOVES tuna with potato chips. Another reader shared a recipe for her pulled pork with coleslaw sandwiches (recipe will be shared soon). Feel free to share your sandwich combo’s at huckleberryhilladventure.com, this is my personal e-mail. How do you enjoy your post turkey day sandwich? Do you pile on dressing, add cranberry sauce? If you have not yet subscribed to this blog, I invite you to click the subscribe link on the home-page, so that you can receive up to date huckleberry hill posts. XOXO! Huckleberry Hugs, Maxine (AKA “Molly)
-Cranberry Citrus Nut Bread Recipe-
- 2 cups all-purpose organic flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 organic large egg
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice-save rind
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh cranberries (can be thawed frozen berries)
I add in ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts…whatever I have on hand.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Greasing 9-by-5-by-3-inch baking pan.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until the mixture resembles corn meal.
- Beat egg until thick and light. Stir in orange juice and rind. Lightly stir this mixture into the flour mixture just until the ingredients are blended. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched.
Cool on a rack, wrap in foil and hold overnight before slicing…make a double recipe and keep in the freezer for Turkey Salad Sandwiches!
-Day After Thanksgiving Easy Turkey Salad-
Combine To Taste: Turkey meat, Best Foods Mayo, Sea Salt. So good on cranberry nut bread! No need to add grapes, cranberries, nuts to the turkey salad, the nuts and cranberry in the bread add sweetness and texture to the sandwich! Yummy! If I have crisp apples or fall pears add this sliced fruit to the sandwich, for extra crunch and flavor… We enjoy these open faced, as a fall season tradition.