It’s holiday season! Yesterday, in California we had record breaking warm weather…and decadent Thanksgiving dishes. Indulgences can be balanced out with an easy detox smoothie that adults and children love. Either post-Thanksgiving or between holiday parties, this recipe is filled with vitamins and probiotics. This smoothie is perfect to boost the immune system during this cold and flu season as well as help with stomach issues due to the benefits of a probiotic.
I asked a Huckleberry Hill follower, with a background in healthy living, for some detox advice. Nelly is a registered nurse that specializes in dietary issues and clean living. She lives in North Carolina with her extended family and is dedicated to living a balanced life. Thank you Nelly for this fabulous detox recipe. We love it!
Of course, I added in frozen huckleberries to the smoothie! The smooth green color is pleasant and children really find the flavors pleasing.
I added ginger to Eric’s as he really needed a tummy soother after yesterday’s feast…he loved it (I left out the banana for his, this recipe is very versatile).
Enjoy the holidays and balance out rich meals with this healthy beverage. Huckleberry Hugs, Maxine (AKA “Molly”)
Use any fruits to taste such as frozen peaches, assorted berries or fresh pineapple. Papaya is a natural for stomach issues and terrific for soothing. For the greens use what you have on hand like fresh kale instead of spinach or chopped cucumber (for a very mild flavor). I added fresh grated ginger with pineapple, kale, berries and probiotic filled kefir for Eric, that was perfect for his tastes.
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup milk such as skim, soy, cashew, almond-organic; this can also be Kefir for probiotic support
- 1 and 1/4 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 cup frozen or fresh fruit of choice-blueberries are recommended for children as this fruit supports brain development
- 1/2 cup Probiotic Filled Vanilla Yogurt of choice- Organic or Kefir (You can use Greek For added protein)
- 1 and a 1/2 cups fresh organic spinach leaves (you can substitute cucumber or kale)
- Juice and zest of 1 large citrus or two small fruits that you have on hand (tangerine, orange, blood orange, lime, grapefruit)
- For those that like ginger add a bit of grated peeled ginger root
- For extra benefits add one tablespoon of fiber (such as Metamucil)
- Blend, Enjoy and Detox!