February is Pebble Beach golf season. In honor of Bing Crosby’s original clam bake and golf tournament we are making cannonball clam chowder. A cannonball is a bread bowl baked with garlic butter and filled with creamy clam chowder.
This yummy chowder can be made in a crock pot or stove top. Best of all, it is simple and delicious (for a family meal or to have at a gathering). This soup works really well for any type of get together. We love to serve chowder with toppings like crumbled bacon and fresh chopped parsley.
Make it special with a grilled garlic bread bowl (cannonball). This makes the inside of the bowl and lid SUPER FABULOUS.
What are your tips and tricks for making a delicious chowder? Do you have memories from Crosby’s Original Clam Bake in Pebble Beach?
If so, I would love to hear from you. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com. Join our Huckleberry Hill Family at the ‘subscribe’ link by entering your e-mail, so that you do not miss out on a recipe or event. Huckleberry Hugs from Pebble Beach, Maxine (AKA “Molly”)
-CROSBY CLAM BAKE CHOWDER-
This is a Huckleberry Hill Adventure family favorite recipe, made each February in honor of Bing Crosby and the clam bake!
- 3 pieces thick cut bacon, diced
- 3 cans clams, (6.5 ounce, DO NOT DRAIN)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium to large yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- Optional: One cup of corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
- 1 TBS pre minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea-salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- This is added for the final step:
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- If making on a weekday this step can be done the evening before and remain in the fridge overnight- then just toss into crock pot before leaving in the morning with remaining ingredients. In a fry pan cook bacon until lightly crisp. (Do not over cook as it will add a burned flavor to the chowder.) Remove the bacon and add the cut up Yukon potatoes and sliced onions to the bacon fat, cook the onions and potatoes in this bacon grease until brown. This step adds a complex flavor and texture to the chowder.
- In slow cooker (crock pot) combine browned bacon, browned onion, browned potatoes. Then add clams WITH JUICE DO NOT DRAIN, celery, garlic, water, sea-salt, black ground pepper and thyme. Stir well.
- Cook in the crock-pot on low for 6- 7 hours.
- Final Step (30 minutes) Before Meal Time:
- In a bowl add the half and half with cornstarch and whisk with a fork. Add this half and half mixture to the slow cooker and stir well. Add corn (optional). Cook on high for 30 minutes. Lower to medium low to keep warm.
For a help yourself soup station have a crock pot of chowder, bowl of bacon pieces, fresh parsley and black pepper in a grinder. Provide a big basket of sourdough bread and place bowls and spoons out for a buffet. Delicious!
Want a DECEDANT AND CREAMY BASE? HERE IS AN ‘INSIDER TIP’:
Need to thicken the chowder up a bit? Add two tablespoons instant mashed potatoes before serving. This long held secret is used by many ‘award winning chowder’ cooks!
GARLIC BUTTER RECIPE
Use a hollowed-out round sourdough for a delicious ‘cannonball’. By making the inside of the sourdough bowl and lid into grilled garlic bread, you take a boring plain bread bowl up a notch.
Breadbowls (good quality sourdough, one mini round per person). Cut off lid, and set aside. Scoop out center of bread (save for making into garlic bread for dipping in chowder, or making into croutons).
1 cup softened salted butter
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. fresh chopped or dried parsley
11/2 tsp. minced California garlic in olive oil
1/4 tsp. onion powder
Mix well. Spread on the hollowed out inside of the sourdough round. Spread on the lid. Broil in oven until lightly toasted. Fill with chowder and enjoy!
Further recipes, memories and tips can be found at the California based blog: huckleberryhilladventure.com. Please click on books/events at the main menu for store locations of Huckleberry Hill products and books.