Welcome to Huckleberry Hill! Click on video to access storytime:
Storytime and family recipes (including home school learning activities), is updated every other Sunday. Maxine LOVES to hear from readers, feel free to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be healthy, lots of virtual hugs from Huckleberry Hill. XOXO Maxine (A.K.A. “Molly”)
‘Save with Stories‘ is a wonderful avenue for supporting children in need during this crisis. More information can be found here:
Interested in hearing more authors and illustrators that are sharing stories and activities? Use this link below to access resources:
Snowball loves stories.
-Chapter 1 Activities-
- Look at a map. Find California, explore the geography of Monterey Bay. Huckleberry Hill sits atop Monterey Bay. Did you realize that Monterey Bay is a federal protected resource? View science videos regarding the Monterey Bay Sanctuary. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has many learning resources available for virtual learning: https://www.youtube.com/user/MontereyBayAquarium/featured
- Think of the characters in chapter 1. What are their names? (Molly, Fern, Nonna, Mom, Dad and the buck.) What is the setting? (The home at Huckleberry Hill along the Pacific Coast.)
- The author describes fog as it sits along the coast of Huckleberry Hill. In the story it is summer time. Isn’t that interesting that summer in this coastal town is foggy and damp? Think about the current weather. What is the weather like today for you? Keep a weather diary. What is the weather forecast for the following week? Do you have typical seasons or changes to weather patterns where you live?
- In chapter 1, Molly and Fern eat Italian Sweet Rolls and sip on hot chocolate. What is your favorite breakfast? Write down the recipe or draw a picture of your favorite morning treat.
- Research the animals that live in an evergreen coastal forest. What types of forest animals did you learn about? Draw a picture.
- Next week we read chapter 2. In chapter 2 do you think that Molly and Fern will find the Wild Buck? Make a prediction.
- Share your artwork, author questions or a photo of you making a favorite recipe. Feel free to email the author, Maxine Carlson. You can contact her at: email@example.com
-COOKING ON HUCKLEBERRY HILL-
-HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE-
Have fun making this beverage with an adult.
3 Cups milk of choice (dairy, almond, soy, etc.)
4 TBS. Unsweetened cocoa cocoa powder
6 tsp. organic raw or granulated sugar (organic stevia or organic honey also works well)
Sprinkle of ground Nutmeg (use ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, what you have in your pantry is fine)
With an adult warm milk. Add ingredients. Whisk with a fork to make a froth. Enjoy!
Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, or sprinkles. Drizzle with caramel or chocolate sauce. This is extra yummy!
Cuddle up, sip hot chocolate while reading a favorite book.
-Hot Chocolate Video-